Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday 12 September 2011

Quad Gear

Okay, I know that this isn't exactly a puzzle (again), but I thought it was pretty cool and definitely worth a quick mention.

Here's a curious little toy that Eric Fuller of Cubic Dissection released a batch of a couple of months ago, and then a few more in his latest batch. They must've been quite popular as they seem to be sold out again!


It's called the Quad Gear Toy, and the thing that makes it such a cool item is the fact that even though the gears are all oval shaped and attached on an off-centre axis they still turn simultaneously together with a perfect (and quite hypnotic) motion. When it first arrived I found myself just turning it round and round in my hands for ages in awe at the movement. And I still can't help picking it up whenever I walk past it.

They aren't actually designed my Eric, but they have been precision machined to Eric's very high standards. The gears are black acrylic, the connecting rods are clear acrylic and these are all connected using stainless steel screws. It definitely doesn't feel flimsy, and it's only 3.5 inches across!

Right, I promise to get back to talking about puzzles again now..............probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No puzzle spoilers please!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...